Sunday, February 22, 2009

Chinese Thigh Destroyer

One week after Surf City, I had a busy weekend on February 7-8, 2009. With the rainy forecast, it was exciting and exotic to have a Saturday bike ride followed by a Sunday 10K race in Chinatown.

I can tell I have learned my mature bike riding skills in group bike rides. After buying my bike in April/08, I only did long rides in fun crowded groups: City of Angels Fun Ride (35Miles) and LA River Ride (70 Miles). That was why Firecracker Fun Bike Ride 20 Miles was attractive, over a well-known course to me. I rode about 5.9 miles to the course and back home, increasing the total mileage.

Because of the wet previous night, just about sixty riders came to the start, but it never rained during the ride. It was a blast to run over wet and muddy streets, with police motorcycles closing the streets. At the finish I had my first Chinese post-race meal. I took the opportunity to get the race packet for the next day’s race.

That afternoon I slept extra two hours to ensure recovery.

Next morning I came to the start line with tired thighs and mildly sore hamstrings, and I knew it would be hard to achieve the goal time of less than 50 minutes. The course had a surprising uphill over the first two miles, for what I was not prepared. Total number of runners for the 5 and 10K was more than five thousand, mostly students, making this event a huge party with strong smell of tiger balm. It was drizzling, creating a cold start and a muddy course.

I can say I had the best views of Los Angeles, running on Elysian Park around the Dodgers Stadium. All runners should come at least once to have pictures, but be warned about the uphill. Afraid of creating an injury a week before Sarasota Marathon, I had to slow my pace in the ascent and descent.

Finish time was 53:05, not bad for all my concerns during the race.

That afternoon I slept extra three hours.


Pictures: I am getting better on the Iphone!

No comments: