Thursday, October 9, 2008

Three-Triathlons-Triathlete, third part of three

Happy for reaching my goal at Malibu, achy and tired, I was hungry for more. But then I had to accomplish the most difficult task: pleasing myself with my performance. Long Beach Triathlon (0.5Mi swim, 11Mi bike, 3Mi run) was a perfect race to finish my streak.

Once more I reviewed my bike, setting the bike seat higher, and packed up my triathlon bag. This was my first time at Long Beach, and I have to say: it is beautiful! Even better: it is flat and fast!

Not only the land course was flat that day; the ocean was calm and warm, better than a swimming pool. I did not have any excuses for the swim leg, and I did not need any: my time was 17:11.4, with just few elbow hits and kicks, no surprises.

T1 was awkward, due to a long sand trail at the beach; I ran half of it, until I had cramps on my calves, but no shortness of breath this time. I will include running on sand in my training: my time was a horrible 4:55.4.

Bike leg was exciting, wide and flat streets, with some sharp turns, but not crowded, so I managed to do better: 35:50.9. I have to confess: I need more training time on the aero position... Having a running background, biking always scares me with the possibility of a crash. That is the excuse for the bike leg...

T2 was a satisfactory 1:47.6. I need to train to remove bike shoes on the bike...

Excited with my time, I pushed the run. Basically, I started to chase my age-group competitors, not even breaking the pace for fluids, and felt great: 22:19.9 was my time. The weather helped a lot, low humidity, cool, not windy. The cheers of the spectators was another bonus.

The result was comforting and above expectations: 1:22:04. Now Long Beach is my favorite, and I have plans to repeat this streak every year: LA Triathlon, Malibu and Long Beach. Hard it will be not to go for olympic distances on the first two...

Now I am making plans for half and full-Ironman, if I have the money.

I already know I have the guns and the guts.

Next races: Long Beach International Marathon (10/12/08); ING New York Marathon (11/02/08).

Hero of the week: Chris McCormack. At least until next Saturday, he is The Ironman Champion. But I have to tell you: anybody swimming 0.5Mi in 10:29 (his time in Malibu this year) and finishing an Ironman in 8:15:34 (his time in Kona last year) or less has all my respect and will be my hero.

Quote of the week: "Fear is probably the thing that limits performance more than anything - the fear of not doing well, of what people will say. You've got to acknowledge those fears, then release them." --Mark Allen


No comments: