Friday, October 3, 2008

Three-Triathlons-Triathlete, first part of three (say it fast three times...)

I am now very happy to consider myself a triathlete. After five months of preparation, I was able to throw all my energy in three triathlons in three consecutive weekends.
The first race I registered for was Nautica Malibu Triathlon, in benefit of Childrens Hospital Los Angeles. With their team, I was able to learn Triathlon 101 and have group training and my first open water swim clinics. My eternal gratitude to coaches Chris Smith and Brian Melekian who showed me the joys of multisport and taught me to always have fun. It was an honor to wear their colors, and now all my pictures will be monotous because of the same uniform , but CHLA is one of the best children's hospitals in the world, and I am proud to declare that in all races.
Since the beggining I knew the swim would be my biggest problem: I could not even swim 50 M without stop, and in all of the open water swim clinics I got panic attacks. Joining the Southern California Aquatics (SCAQ) masters program and daily workouts made me begin to enjoy the swim. It was one of my most remarkable moments of my life when I finally was able to swim 200 M at once.
Because of all the fear of open water, I had to prove to myself that I could do it. That and the short swim course of the Kaiser Permanente LA Triathlon (swim 0.4 Mi, bike 19.5Mi, run 3.1Mi) made me sign up for my first ever race, one week before Malibu. That was a rehearsal, and it could not be done many weeks before simply because I was not ready at all.

It was a feat to wake up at 3:30AM on race day, bike 4Mi to take a bus to Santa Monica , and bike 3Mi more to Venice Beach ( do not ask me why: I do not have a car...). That was when I felt all the joy of multisport ; to see the sunshine at the beach , finishing nutrition tune-up and setting transition , this is divine. And I learned that I needed a headlamp to succeed in this sport.

I needed two swim warm-ups to feel confident enough to line up at the start. Funny how it really feels like you are swimming in a washing machine, with people all around you, grabbing your arms and legs, and suddenly stopping to kick you on the face. It was a good lesson, and I finished 0.4Mi swim in 18:43, mostly because of multiple stops to wait for people to clear my way, and because of bad navigation. But I was happy to survive swimming faster that predicted.

Transition time was 3:33, mostly because I was short of breath after the swim, but my transition was exactly at the exit, so I got it fast for my standards.

The bike leg was fun in the beggining, with me daring to go to aero position (give me a break: I had bought the bike just six months before...), then scary in the middle (hilly course) and exciting end with a huge downhill. Bike time 1:07:48, mostly because I got hypoglycemic on the last quarter of the bike. I have to confess: I can not avoid a smile when going fast downhill or doing a sharp turn. Maybe that will go with time.

T2 went 2:01, mostly because I had to understand where was the exit. My fault: next time I promise I will study the maps better...

The run started with a huge smile, because I realized I could finish in less than two hours (please understand: that was my very first sprint triathlon...). But I had to face the same hill of the bike course, up in the first 1.5Mi, down in the second half. No fluid stops, chasing competing age-groupers, finished in 25:22, happy to finish strong, already worried about recovery for next weekend.

Now I knew I could do it, and I had to improve. More road work ahead.

Next races: Long Beach International Marathon (10/12/08); ING New York Marathon (11/02/08).


Quote of the week: Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. It's not a day when you lounge around doing nothing; it's when you've had everything to do, and you've done it. Margaret Thatcher

No comments: