Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!!!

Happy New Year for all of us!!!


It is a new year, full of hopes, promises and resolutions, and this is my first post from my Iphone. It is a wonderful gadget that I will talk about later,after learning a little bit more. First things first.

On 12/27/08, following great expectations, and after one day of carrying heavy furniture moving from my old apartment, I finally ran the Big Cat Challenge. Few running aficionados got together at Huntington Beach Central Park to run consecutive two-mile loops and complete, to their will, a half-marathon, a marathon, or as much as they could run in 12 hours. Of course I chose the 12 hour challenge, to finish 2008 with a high note. That was still part of me learning to live with myself... My plan was to use the run/walk technique, targeting a pace around 10min/mile, with run over 3min and walk for 1 min.. My primary goal was to beat my previous result in my first ultra of 37.28 in 12 hours, with secondary goal of completing 60miles in 12 hours.


The official clock was marking 7:32am and 38 F degrees at start. I set up a bag on the floor as my HQ at the first aid station, allowing me to avoid carrying too much weight and to keep my own food and fluids. First hour was completed at 9 min/mile pace, bringing hopes of a better than expected performance. First 13 miles were ran in 1hour and 58 min.. The marathon was completed in about four hours, a new PR. At mile 28 I changed my shoes from the Kanadia trail to wide mildly-wore Brooks Adrenaline, to prevent foot injuries. At six hours, 36 miles were completed. After that, I was not able to keep the pace, and the walk breakes became erratic and frequent. At 7:32:13 I stopped, after walking a whole lap with my asthma flaring up for the second time that day.


I was able to meet my primary goal, achieved a new marathon PR, learned how to run for many hours, and finished first in my age group. Not bad at all! And once again I felt how nice is trail running...


Now I really feel I am ready to face 2009, with a big smile and bold goals.


Next races: Surf City USA Marathon (02/01/09), Pasadena Marathon (03/22/09), 27th Annual Avia Wildflower Triathlon Long Course (05/02/09), Vineman Ironman 70.3 (07/19/09).


Hero of the week: Robert English, the man behind the Big Cat Challenge, on its third event on 2008; the first race had only three participants.


Quote of the week: “Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man." Benjamin Franklin.

No comments: