Sunday, March 6, 2011

Becoming a Hero!

      I have been working hard on my resolutions. And so as in my job.

      That means I have been taking somewhat good care of myself; I have kept my weight around 173-174, have done Yoga almost every day, and slept better.  I have run more often than last year, not yet every day. At work, I have been doing a lot, and that has brought a lot of contentment and new tasks. I have been busy for these first months of 2011, but I still have in mind my future races, with the big event being Ironman Arizona.

      Talking about big events, I have been involved with St. Baldrick's Foundation, a volunteer-driven charity committed to funding childhood cancer research. Everything started on 2000, with a head-shaving event to benefit kids with cancer on St. Patrick’s Day; today the St. Baldrick’s Foundation is the leading non-governmental organization funding research in childhood cancer. From their website:
“The St. Baldrick's Foundation has made more than 250 grants totaling over $55 million for childhood cancer research since 2005, its first year as a foundation. In 2010 alone, over $14 million was funded - more than by any other foundation making grants for research to cure childhood cancers. The St. Baldrick's Foundation has made more than 250 grants totaling over $55 million for childhood cancer research since 2005, its first year as a foundation. In 2010 alone, over $14 million was funded - more than by any other foundation making grants for research to cure childhood cancers.”

      On March 12, 2011, LAFD and LAPD come together to host a fundraising event to support St. Baldrick’s Foundation, in North Hollywood. It will be a beautiful morning with music, magicians, free IHOP and Starbucks breakfast, family fun, and, of course, head shaving! Up to now I have counted 82 shavees, myself included  :) !!!

       For more information and donations please go here.

       In preparation for this great event, I am growing my hair, and have started team “Bold Baldrick”, a team for everyone who believes all kids should have the opportunity to be silly, to laugh loud, to play all day long and be happy, instead of being scared by devastating diseases and fearing nurses and doctors. I am going to “baldly” race a series of events this year to honor our brave young cancer fighters: LA Marathon, Pasadena Marathon, Magic Mountain Man Half Distance Triathlon and the Ironman Arizona Triathlon.

       St.Baldrick's Foundation is working hard to save kids from cancer, and I am doing my part giving my hair, sweat and support to their cause.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Definitivamente, vc é meu herói! :)