Sunday, October 24, 2010

Half-racing

      I am officially declared out-of-shape for this rest of the year. Today I just ran the inaugural Dodge Rock'n'Roll Los Angeles (you know, this is the first, I had to do it...), and suffered as much as in a marathon, running a half-marathon AT MARATHON PACE. Not just that, but I had to walk few hills, felt sick and hit the wall at Mile 6, and, for the third race finish in a row, medical volunteers came to ask me if I was OK.
     
       Emergency measures are required, specially because I have a marathon in three weeks, the year still has two months to go, my training was jeopardized by my new job, and I want to have big endurance plans for 2011.

      First Step is start including my training on my written daily schedule. Even if it is a 30-minute run or a 15-minute Yoga session, something EVERYDAY, of course alternating intensity and listening to my body. Anything is better than nothing (current status).

      Second Step is to go for a medical check-up, as now my gastrointestinal problems got me to believe I may have Irritable Bowel Syndrome: my frequent toilet visits start now the day before the races, and not only on race morning, causing me to become dehydrated even before the races start.

      Third Step is to start again taking better care of myself; my weight is still the same, but I've been drinking way too much coffee, eating erratically, delaying Yoga for more than a week long, and sleeping poorly.

      After my DNF disaster two weeks ago, I thought an easy half-marathon in less than two hours would be a nice workout. I am happy I had this wake-up call just in time for Thanksgiving.

      By the way, my unofficial time was 2h07min; and I am working on Thanksgiving.

No comments: