Sunday, December 14, 2008

Learning to live with myself, part 2

Again running after fun and auto-discovery, objectively training for the Big Cat Challenge taking advantage of a business trip, I took part in the North Face Endurance Challenge 2008 in San Francisco, CA. Because of the challenging course, I decided to run the half-marathon. Maybe next year I will be ready for the 50K or the 50M courses.

This was my very first trail race, with the usual extra hardships: I arrived at San Francisco at 11:50PM on the night before the race, after travelling for about twelve hours (from Miami), and waking up at 4:30 AM in order to be able to get to take the shuttle to the start, at the Golden Gate National Recreational Area. Temperatures were around freezing 44F on the morning of the race day, promising a very interesting race. Dean Karnazes was there hosting the event, less than 24hours after coming back from his trip to Antarctica, and classified this course as difficulty 8/10.

Besides the excitement and the challenge, the idea was to use this race as a rehearsal for the Big Cat Challenge, testing new trail running shoes and Injinji running socks. I have to say: I am impressed! Besides multiple compliments about my shoes, I could run wildly over the sandy fire roads, comfortably and fast on downhills. No blisters, no pain. I just regret to have bought white socks, and just one pair!

During this race I could really feel I was flying on downhills, but uphills were brutal, and I have learned my lesson on specific training: train on hills, to be able to run uphills!

It was a real pleasure to run those trails, where the only people you could see were the runners, and there was no cell signal in many areas. That is a definition of heaven on Earth...

I was really happy to participate in that race, and my prediction of 2:30 finish was not wrong: I finished 2:38:23, with no injuries, no falls, no blisters. My muscles were sore for a week after the race, mostly on the abdomen, and this was a good training race for the Big Cat Challenge. Again I ran a race by curiosity and impulse, but at least I was running in the right direction.

This was my first step to finish 2008 with a strong kick and to solve once for all my growing pains.


Next races: Big Cat Challenge 12-hour Ultramarathon (12/27/08), Surf City USA Marathon (02/01/09), Pasadena Marathon (03/22/09), 27th Annual Avia Wildflower Triathlon Long Course (05/02/09), Vineman Ironman 70.3 (07/19/09).

Heroes of the week: the San Diego Chargers came back to spotlight, bringing hopes for playoffs. Support your local team!

Quote of the week: “Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second." William James.


No comments: